Are you looking for mentorship on a long-term personal project? Would you benefit from regular feedback or critique from two world-renowned photographers? Do you want to understand more about book publishing or publishing your work journalistically? And are you missing support from a creative community?
Find all of this and more via Magnum’s long-term mentorship program. Develop your personal or editorial projects with Matt Black and Susan Meiselas, special guests from across the industry, along with your peers, over the course of seven months.
Take the next step in your career development by preparing for an industry review panel at the end of the mentorship in March, where you will have an opportunity to present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback. This is a mentorship geared toward emerging and professional photographers looking to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets. Over 7 months of the long-term mentorship, you will have a chance to receive feedback from Magnum photographers and guest experts, receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests, hear advice on editing and sequencing and participate in networking and marketing opportunities.
Matt Black will be the lead instructor for the duration of the seven months, participating in all workshop and monthly reviews. Susan Meiselas will be a key instructor in all of the group classes, however not in the monthly individual review sessions.
The mentorship will take place for seven months between October 2021 to April 2022. The first workshop with Matt Black, Susan Meiselas and special guests will be held on these dates: Oct 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov 1 from 11:30 EDT - 5:45 EDT on Zoom.
Dates for the two group critique classes midway in the mentorship and March/April dates for the second workshop will be announced shortly, all of which will be led by Matt Black and Susan Meiselas.
The one hour monthly review sessions in December, January, February and March will be led by Matt Black. Each month Matt will invite a special guest to join in your feedback sessions. These guests will be announced as they are confirmed. Susan Meiselas will not be participating in the monthly reviews.
August 25th 2021
One scholarship will be awarded, based on financial need and strength of the work submitted. Please fill out the application form here. In addition, please provide a statement of intent explaining how the scholarship will help advance your creative work.
Please be able to provide tax documents for the previous year.
If your application is accepted, you will participate in a brief interview to determine eligibility and will be notified shortly thereafter. The price of this mentorship is $8,950 (taxes included).
This workshop offers:
- The opportunity to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets.
- Receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests by Magnum photographers Matt Black and Susan Meiselas, other Magnum photographers and industry experts.
- Build a relationship over time with your teachers, for them to understand your challenges, ambitions and motivations and have time for them to guide your work and make suggestions for the presentation and output.
- The creation of a supportive peer network that is often lacking when working solo as a photographer. On previous Magnum Learn events we have been thrilled to see that these peer networks continue to support each other long after the event has finished.
- Plug into the wider Magnum Learn network, and stay in the loop on upcoming talks and free opportunities regular feedback or critique from two world-renowned photographers
- Present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback.
Photography becomes meaningful when it is in dialogue with something larger than oneself. I’ll be happy to encourage and support you in walking this path.
What form do you imagine a project taking and who is it for? Context is crucial, and I’m curious how it informs and inspires your projects.