Are you looking for mentorship on a long-term personal project? Would you benefit from regular feedback or critique from two world-renowned photographers? Do you want to understand more about book publishing or publishing your work journalistically? And are you missing support from a creative community?
Find all of this and more via Magnum’s Long Term Mentorship program. Develop your personal or editorial projects with Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli, special guests from across the industry, along with your peers, over the course of six months.
Take the next step in your career development by preparing for an industry review panel at the end of the mentorship in June, where you will have an opportunity to present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback. This is a mentorship geared toward emerging and professional photographers looking to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets. Over the six months of Long entorship, you will have a chance to receive feedback from Magnum photographers and guest experts, receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests, hear advice on editing and sequencing and participate in networking and marketing opportunities.
This workshop offers:
- The opportunity to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets.
- Receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests by Magnum photographers Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli, other Magnum photographers and industry experts.
- Regular feedback and critique from two world-renowned photographers
- Present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback.
- Build a relationship over time with your teachers. Alex and Gilles will come to understand your challenges, ambitions and motivations, as they will have the time to guide your work, as well as make suggestions for the presentation and output.
- The creation of a supportive peer network that is often lacking when working solo as a photographer. On previous Magnum Learn events we have been thrilled to see that these peer networks continue to support each other long after the event has finished.
- Plug into the wider Magnum Learn network, and stay in the loop on upcoming talks and free opportunities.
- An all access pass to the Magnum Video On-Demand courses.
- Free access to Magnum Learn seminars.
- The work produced will be posted on the Magnum Learn Instagram account
What can I do to help you? This is what I will ask repeatedly until no questions are left unanswered. Then the participants will be ready to embark on their personal photographic journeys.
One has to work from the inside out, and not from the outside in.
The mentorship will take place for six months between January and June 2022.
For the first time, Magnum Photos' Long Term Mentorship will have a 5 day in-person workshop in New York City*. Venue to be announced shortly.
Schedule for the in-person workshop: Monday 17th January - Friday 21st January 2022.
The one hour monthly review sessions will be taking place in February, March, April and May.
The second workshop and pitching panel will take place in person between June 13 - June 17, 2022.
Dates for the two group critique classes midway in the mentorship will be announced soon.
*If you’re unable to attend the workshop in NY, we will have a hybrid set up to enable online participation also.
Deadline to apply:
23.59 PM Eastern Time, Sunday 19th December 2021
Gilles and Alex will review applications on a rolling basis.
This is a free event designed for anyone considering starting one of our educational programmes. It will be delivered as a Zoom webinar between 10:00 – 11:00 AM Eastern Time on Monday 6th December 2021.
You will be able to ask questions of the team, Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli.
Click here to join the open day.
One scholarship will be awarded, based on financial need and strength of the work submitted.
23.59 PM Eastern Time, Sunday 19th December 2021.