Are you looking for mentorship on a long-term personal project? Would you benefit from regular feedback or critique from two world-renowned photographers? Do you want to understand more about book publishing or publishing your work journalistically? And are you missing support from a creative community?
Find all of this and more via Magnum’s Long Term Mentorship program. Develop your personal or editorial projects with Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli, special guests from across the industry, along with your peers, over the course of nine months.
Take the next step in your career development by preparing for an industry review panel at the end of the mentorship, where you will have an opportunity to present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback. This is a mentorship geared toward emerging and professional photographers looking to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets. Over the nine months of mentorship, you will have a chance to receive feedback from Magnum photographers and guest experts, receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests, hear advice on editing and sequencing and participate in networking and marketing opportunities.
This workshop offers:
- The opportunity to complete a body of work and prepare it for a variety of distribution outlets.
- Receive guidance on your theoretical and aesthetic interests by Magnum photographers Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli, other Magnum photographers and industry experts.
- Regular feedback and critique from two world-renowned photographers
- Present your work to a group of industry experts and receive live feedback.
- Build a relationship over time with your teachers. Alex and Gilles will come to understand your challenges, ambitions and motivations, as they will have the time to guide your work, as well as make suggestions for the presentation and output.
- Participate in a Zine making workshop.
- Receive free membership to Center.
- Gain an all access pass to the Magnum Video On-Demand courses.
- Receive free access to Magnum Learn seminars.
- Create a supportive peer network that is often lacking when working solo as a photographer. On previous Magnum Learn events we have been thrilled to see that these peer networks continue to support each other long after the event has finished.
- Become a part of the wider Magnum Learn network, and stay in the loop on upcoming talks and free opportunities.
- Have your finished project posted on the Magnum Learn Instagram account and showcased on Magnum’s website.
Schedule a Call
If you have any questions or queries or would just like to discuss the programme in greater detail, please schedule a call with Magnum's Education Director, Amber Terranova, here.
What can I do to help you? This is what I will ask repeatedly until no questions are left unanswered. Then the participants will be ready to embark on their personal photographic journeys.
One has to work from the inside out, and not from the outside in.
Gilles and Alex are committed to delivering exceptional learning experiences and building relationships with students. As a result, we are now looking into holding the first workshop in person, in Europe, starting early May 2022. We will update all current applicants with more details towards the end of February 2022, and hope that you will still consider joining us for this incredible nine month program.
The updated timeline with new offerings:
March 13, 2022 - Application Deadline
May 24 - May 28: Workshop #1 with Gilles and Alex will take place in person in Modica, Sicily (Location to be announced by the Open Day Feb 25)
May 2022 & June 2022 - Each mentee meets with Gilles & Alex for one hour
July 2022 & August 2022 - Each mentee meets with Amber for one hour
One group critique class, led by Amber with a special guest lecture
September 2022 Each mentee meets with Gilles & Alex for one hour
October 2022 Each mentee meets with Gilles & Alex for one hour
November 2022 Each mentee meets with Gilles & Alex for one hour
December 2022 OR January/February 2023 In-person final workshop and pitching panel
In the meantime, the Magnum Education team is available to set up time to discuss the program, answer any questions and learn more about your practice. Please email email@example.com
Deadline to apply:
23.59 PM Eastern Time, March 13, 2022
Gilles and Alex will review applications on a rolling basis.
This was a free event designed for anyone considering starting one of our educational programmes. There was the opportunity to ask questions of the team, Gilles Peress and Alex Majoli.
One scholarship will be awarded, based on financial need and strength of the work submitted.
23.59 PM Eastern Time, March 13, 2022