Photograph Orthodox Easter with Thomas Dworzak in Tbilisi, Georgia
Discover Tbilisi, a capital city at the crossroads between Asia and Europe, while learning from Magnum photographer Thomas Dworzak
Learn from Magnum photographer Thomas Dworzak in this intimate four-day workshop in Georgia, while discovering Tbilisi, a capital city at the crossroads between Asia and Europe, and known for its ancient culture as well as for its legendary tradition of hospitality.
This workshop, organized in collaboration with the Tbilisi Photography and Multimedia Museum, will be led by Magnum photographer Thomas Dworzak, a self-proclaimed “Prisoner of the Caucasus” and a resident of Georgia for many years between 1992 and 2012. Photographing Tbilisi with Thomas Dworzak offers a rare chance to discover the various layers that the Georgian capital can offer to the visitors while improving your practice.
Easter is an extremely important religious celebration in Georgia. Traditionally, large crowds visit churches and meet in cemeteries to celebrate with their families and honor their dead. Immerse yourself into one of the largest cultural events in Georgia while making new work in a vibrant and exciting city.
The workshop will include shooting time, lectures, critique and editing sessions as well as social time spent in the city as a group. All participants will go home with an edit of the work shot during the workshop. The best two portfolios, selected by Nestan Nijaradze, Artistic Director of the Tbilisi Photo Festival, will be screened during the Night of Photography on 15 September.
Where & When
Tbilisi Photography and Multimedia Museum, Tbilisi, Georgia
26th – 29th April, 9.30am to 5pm with evening shooting and activities.
We advise participants to arrive on the 25th and leave on the 30th of April.
Early bird price (incl. VAT): £850 until 8th March 2019
Regular price (incl. VAT): £1,000 after 8th March 2019
Terms and Conditions apply. See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
Workshop open to 12 participants. The places are allocated on a first come first served basis.
We offer one scholarship for a photographer coming from specific regions. Please see bottom of the page for the requirements and details on how to apply.
Now fully booked
For enquiries relating to this project please email Sonia Jeunet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule (a more detailed programme will be sent to all participants)
Day 1 – Friday 26 April
Presentation of the programme
Lecture by Thomas Dworzak
Presentation and discussion of the assignment
“In and Out of Reality: 3 centuries of Photographic Image in Georgia”
Public lecture by Nestan Nijaradze – co-founder and Artistic Director of Tbilisi Photo Festival and Tbilisi Photography & Multimedia Museum.
Evening: Welcome Dinner (included in the price)
Day 2 – Saturday 27 April
Shoot in the morning until 3pm.
Meet at 3pm for a debrief, review work and prepare for evening shoot.
Evening: shoot first part of the celebrations.
Day 3 – Sunday 28 April
Morning: group critiques
Afternoon: shooting time
Day 4 – Monday 29 April
Lecture by Thomas Dworzak
Editing of your final project
Magnum Photos and the Tbilisi Photography and Multimedia Museum are proud to sponsor one scholarship for this workshop and are inviting photographers from the following regions to apply: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Georgia, Greece, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine.
The successful candidate will be selected by the representatives of Magnum Photos and Tbilisi Photography and Multimedia Museum.
The successful applicant will be responsible to cover his/her expenses to the workshop (travel + accommodation).
Please send a portfolio of 20 images + short motivation letter to email@example.com using WeTransfer.
Deadline to apply is 3rd March.
Terms and Conditions
• A deposit of £100 will be asked upon submission
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel groups with less than 8 participants. Students will be given a full refund. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised
• Travel insurance is mandatory.
• The workshop fee does not include international transport, accommodation in Tbilisi or ground expenses.
• For International applicants, Magnum Photos is not responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance
• Cancellations: Magnum will reimburse the totality of the ticket price is cancellation is made at least 21 days before the start of the workshop, minus a £50 administrative fee. We will charge 50% of the ticket price if cancellation is made between 15 and 21 days before the workshop and 100% of the ticket price if cancellation is made less than 15 days before the start of the workshop.