A Photobook in 4 Days with Cristina de Middel
Join a unique intensive exercise with Magnum nominee Cristina de Middel to create a photobook in Paris
Magnum Photos is excited to offer this unique workshop that gives Cristina de Middel carte blanche to lead a group of 12 students through a 4 day – 96 hour – intensive creative exercise in Paris.
Breaking down the boundaries between documentary and conceptual photography, Cristina de Middel will introduce students to her practice and give workshop participants a related creative assignment. The group will then work towards the delivery of an edited, physical body of work during the 4 days.
Through this workshop, participants will develop their own personal style and sense of authorship through storytelling, acquiring the skills to deliver a creative project, from concept, shooting and editing for a book format.
Playing with the concept of reality and the photographer’s capacity to visually reinvent the world around them, this workshop seeks to push participants outside their comfort zone photographically.
Where & When
Paris, from Saturday 16th of June to Tuesday 19th of June 2018
The workshop will be held in English (French and Spanish also spoken)
Selection and Requirements
Every participant has to come fully equipped with their cameras and laptop with editing software.
This workshop is now fully booked.
About Cristina de Middel
Spanish photographer, born in 1975.
Cristina De Middel is a photographer whose work investigates photography’s ambiguous relationship to truth. Blending documentary and conceptual photographic practices, she plays with reconstructions and archetypes in order to build a more layered understanding of the subject she approaches. From the premise that the description of the world provided by mass media is reducing the real understanding of the world we live in, her selection of subjects responds to the urgency of completing the portrait or re-launching the debate taking the potential of photography as the raw material for her story-telling. De Middel’s work has received numerous awards in both the editorial and the artistic field, including PhotoFolio Arles 2012, Finalist of the Deutsche Börse Prize, and the Infinity Award from the International Center of Photography in New York. Her series Midnight at the Crossroads, in collaboration with Bruno Morais – exploring African spiritual roots and their heritage in America territories – will be subject of an exhibition presented at La Croisière of the Rencontres d’Arles Festival 2018.
Terms and Conditions
– There are a limited number of spaces on the workshop, the places will be sold on a first come basis
– Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel this event with less than 10 participants. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 1-week advance notice and a full refund.
– Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised.
– The workshop fee does not include transport, accommodation or ground expenses. International participants are responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance.
– Refunds to applicants who wish to cancel their place on the workshop can only be given up to 14 days in advance of the date of the workshop. After this point, refunds cannot be issued.
For enquiries relating to this project please email Coline Plançon firstname.lastname@example.org