Finding an Authentic Voice in your Documentary Storytelling
Develop your photographic practice with Jonas Bendiksen and Peter van Agtmael at a workshop in Hong Kong
For the first time in Hong Kong, Magnum photographers Jonas Bendiksen & Peter van Agtmael will lead a five day workshop offering a unique and intensive photographic experience. Apply and book here.
Intended for passionate amateurs and professional photographers with a strong interest in documentary photography and storytelling, the workshop comprises five days spent alongside Jonas Bendiksen and Peter van Agtmael, as you shoot new work and develop your visual language and photographic identity.
The number of attendees will be limited to 12 per photographer and all participants will have a chance to have reviews with both photographers during the workshop. Images will be reviewed at the beginning of each day as participants are expected to be shooting during the rest of the day.
Areas that will be covered during this Magnum Documentary Photography workshop
- Mentoring by both Magnum photographers Jonas Bendiksen and Peter van Agtmael
- Visual Style – Guiding you through technical, theoretical and aesthetic issues
- Group portfolio reviews
- Individual portfolio reviews
“The goal of this workshop is to assist you to identify or refine your own authentic voice in photography, and give you the tools to get to the next level with your work.” – Peter van Agtmael
“I don’t want this workshop to only be about teaching, but about sharing ideas. A good workshop is a platform where ideas about our practice can be freely exchanged, and where we can all inspire each other. I will try to nurture this not only between the tutors and students, but among everyone in the whole group.” – Jonas Bendiksen
Where & When
PMQ, Hong Kong
35 Aberdeen St, Central, Hong Kong
Friday January 25 – Tuesday January 29, 2019
We recommend participants to arrive in Hong Kong on Thursday January 24 and leave on Wednesday January 30.
Jonas Bendiksen and Peter Van Agtmael will lead a public talk open to all on Saturday, January 26 at 4pm at the Hub, PMQ Block A, 7/F. The talk will be followed by a book signing session where Magnum books by Thames & Hudson will be on sale.
This event is made possible thanks to the support of PMQ.
The workshop will be held in English
Early Bird Price Offer: £1250 (incl. VAT) before December 10th
Regular Price: £1350 (incl. VAT) after December 10th
Price does NOT include accommodation and travel to Hong Kong.
Upon submitting your application you will be forwarded to Magnum’s Paypal account where you will be asked to pay a £200 deposit to book your place on the workshop. You will receive a confirmation that your application has been accepted within 3 days of your subscription.
Terms and Conditions apply.
See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
The workshop is open to 12 participants maximum per photographer and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Students attending must be comfortable using their equipment and have their own laptop with Editing Software
Apply and book here.
Terms and Conditions:
- There are a limited number of spaces on the workshop. Students will be selected based on the work they have submitted during their registration.
- Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel this event with less than 7 participants. In the event of cancellation students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice and a full refund.
- Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised.
- Travel insurance is mandatory.
- The workshop fee does not include international transport, accommodation in Hong Kong or ground expenses. International participants are responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is canceled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets.
- Refunds to applicants who wish to cancel their place on the workshop can only be given up to 14 days in advance of the date of the workshop. After this point, refunds cannot be issued.