Magnum and LCC Intensive Documentary Photography Course – Summer 2019
An intensive three-week documentary photography course in association with London College of Communication
Apply now for this unique three-week course led by award-winning Magnum photographer Stuart Franklin and Max Houghton, course leader of MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography at LCC, with tutorial sessions by Magnum photographer Chris Steele-Perkins and Magnum nominee Sim Chi Yin.
Now in its fifth year, this course will equip students with the historical and contextual framework required for critical thinking around documentary photography, and offers technical guidance and tutorial support. Focusing on how to develop a personal project and an authentic voice, you will explore and define your individual approach to documentary photography and consider all elements of successful project development: from research, to access and shooting, to the editing and creation of a zine and public projection.
Other tutors and lecturers include (more to be announced): Mark Power (Magnum Photographer), Jennifer Goods (Writer and Lecturer, LCC).
“People who sign up to a course like this one should expect a lot, but not miracles. It is three weeks out of your lives, not too much, but the idea is to shake you up, make you question your assumptions, expose you to different opinions, learn from each other, not just the tutors and go beyond your comfort zone. Hopefully what you learn will stay with you longer than the three weeks, and I was delighted to hear that three of last year’s students had gone off traveling together. We can help you to drive better, then it is up to you to find the road you have to travel.” – Chris Steele-Perkins, Magnum photographer
This course covers:
• How to devise and research a photographic project: What makes a good idea and how visual storytelling can be employed to best articulate a concept?
• Practical assignments and on location shooting
• Magnum Print Room: during weekend sessions, you will learn tips and tricks to navigate and demystify the photography business, offering career development and networking opportunities
• Lectures led by Magnum photographers and staff, industry experts and LCC faculty
• Museum visit: learn about the V&A Museum photography collection, through a tour with the curator
• Critique: individually and in groups with a focus on technique, subject and personal voice
• Editing and production: learn how editing, sequencing and design can reveal narrative and meaning
• How to present and pitch your work to clients
• Advice surgery with Magnum staff
• Zine workshop: design, print and make your own zine from the work shot over the three-week period.
• Graduation party: celebrate and display work digitally during a public screening. Selected alumni may have their work featured on the Magnum Website and Magnum Learn Instagram account
Feedback from previous participants:
“Incredible, worth every penny – I grew both as a photographer and personally as well.”
“The speakers were excellent. I felt like we were getting the best information from the best people in the field. I was blown away by the curriculum and I learned so much.”
Where and When
London College of Communication
1st – 21st August 2019, 10am to 6pm
Monday – Sunday with a programme of evening events
The workshop will be held in English
£3,300 (incl. VAT). Terms and Conditions apply.
Payments in two instalments made over a 3-month period are possible. Please contact short courses at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Selection and Requirements
This course is open to 22 applicants and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Students are required to bring their own laptop and camera
Click here to register for this course.
For enquiries relating to this project please email Sonia Jeunet: email@example.com