Intensive Documentary Masterclass with Matt Black in Paris
Join Magnum photographer Matt Black for this shooting & project development workshop at Magnum's Paris headquarters
Organized into two intensive sessions and a one-week shooting assignment, this workshop will challenge you to push your practice forward, develop new ideas, create new images for a new or existing project, and edit and sequence your project into a zine/newspaper to be produced at the culmination of the workshop.
The first workshop session (July 2-3) will focus on who you are as an artist. You will participate in group portfolio reviews, gaining valuable advice from both Matt Black and your peers, and develop your individual project objectives. Following the first session you will spend five-days working on an individual assignment set for you by Matt Black. In the second workshop session (8-9 July) you will share your new images in a group critique, and work alongside Black, Magnum specialist staff and guest speakers to edit, sequence and design a zine/newspaper publication for your project.
During the workshop, Matt Black will take the participants through the process of conceiving and executing a long term project, the importance of editing your work, and many different ways of outputting your project – from multimedia pieces, newspapers, magazines, and exhibitions and more.
This workshop offers:
• Practical advice and lectures from Matt Black and guest speakers from the photo industry
• Group portfolio reviews including advice on existing work and professional development
• Peer, Magnum Staff and Industry Expert networking opportunities
• Individual shooting assignment
• In class subject research sessions
• Editing, designing and mentoring sessions for a coherent body of documentary work aimed at a newspaper output
• Presentation of the work at Magnum
Where & When
Magnum Photos, 19 Rue Hégésippe Moreau,
2nd – 3rd July, 9.30am to 5pm
8th – 9th July, 9.30am to 5pm
The workshop will be held in English
€925 (incl. VAT) for both sessions.
Terms and Conditions apply. See the bottom of this page for more details.
This fee does not include travel and accommodation.
Selection and Requirements
The workshop is open to 12 applicants and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
This workshop is now fully booked. To place your name on our waiting list, please use the email address below.
For enquiries relating to this project please email Coline Plançon: email@example.com
Matt Black (b. 1970) is from California’s Central Valley, an agricultural region in the heart of the state where he continues to live today. He has traveled over 100,000 miles across 46 US states for his project The Geography of Poverty. Other recent works include The Dry Land, about the impact of drought on California’s agricultural communities, and The Monster in the Mountains, about the disappearance of 43 students in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero.
Black received the W. Eugene Smith Award in 2015. In 2016, he received the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award and was named a Senior Fellow at the Emerson Collective. In 2018, he again received a Robert F. Kennedy Award for his work in Puerto Rico. His work has been honored by the Magnum Foundation Emergency Fund, the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, the Center for Cultural Innovation, and others.
Terms and Conditions
• All fees must be paid on application
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel groups with less than 9 participants. Students will be given a full refund. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised
• For International applicants, Magnum Photos is not responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance
• Refunds to applicants who wish to cancel their place on the workshop can only be given up to 21 days in advance of the date of the workshop. After this point, refunds cannot be issued