Intensive Documentary Photography Course 2018: London College of Communication x Magnum Photos
Further develop your photographic practice with this three-week intensive course in association with London College of Communication
Magnum is pleased to announce the details of the latest Magnum Intensive Documentary Photography Course in association with London College of Communication.
This unique three-week course will run through August in London, led by award-winning Magnum photographers Stuart Franklin and Chris Steele-Perkins, and by Max Houghton, course leader of MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography at LCC. Participants will also hear from – and work with – other Magnum photographers, tutors from LCC and industry experts.
The course will absorb students into the practice and history of documentary photography and Magnum’s and LCC’s legacies and contemporary contributions to it, and will equip students with the historical and contextual framework required for critical thinking around documentary photography, as well as providing technical guidance and tutorial support.
Focusing on how to develop a personal project and an authentic voice, you will explore and define your individual approach to documentary photography and will consider all elements of successful project development; from research phases to shooting and editing and creation of a public projection. Through guidance and feedback, participants will work to successfully develop a documentary photo project from start to finish.
The experience of joining the Magnum Intensive Documentary Photography Course will be a unique and positive learning experience, allowing students to develop a rich network of both peers and industry professionals.
Where & When
London College of Communication, Elephant & Castle, SE1 6SB
The course runs from 1 August to the 21 August, Monday – Sunday.
For the full course programme please see the section titled Full Program below.
This course is held in English.
Selection and Requirements
Students are required to bring their own laptop and camera (and materials if applicable)
This course is now fully booked.
The course will consist of these main elements:
• How to devise and research a photographic project. What makes a good idea and how visual storytelling can be employed to best articulate a concept?
• Shooting on location – daily assignments and briefs in London
• Magnum Print Room – you will learn during a weekend tips and tricks to navigate and demystify the photography business, offering career development and networking
• Editing your work, and studying Magnum Contacts to understand how top photographers shoot and edit
• Studying some photographic books to better understand how they are sequenced and organised
• Lectures – led by Magnum photographers and staff, industry experts and LCC staff
• Museum visits – learn about national photography collections, including the V&A Museum, through tours with curators
• Critique – individually and in groups, looking at technique, subject and personal voice
• Editing and production – learning how editing, sequencing and design can reveal a narrative
• Learning how to present and pitch your work
• Printing and Zine production techniques
• Graduation party –celebrate and display work digitally to a public and industry audience
The learning outcomes connected to the course are:
• Create an industry standard and academically informed body of photographic work
• Have unique insight into the history of documentary photography and Magnum
• Engage in critical debates on ethics, industry and technology in contemporary photographic practice
• Continue developing essential skills in writing, editing and making work for different audiences
Lead Tutors: Max Houghton, Chris Steele-Perkins, Stuart Franklin
Lectures by lead tutors
Lectures by industry professionals and photographers
Group Critiques with lead tutors
Visits at the Tate and V&A
Editing and project development sessions with lead tutors
Lectures by industry professionals and photographers
Digital Workflow Lab
Individual reviews with lead tutors
Group critiques and editing sessions with lead tutors
Zine making workshop
About the Magnum and London College of Communication
Magnum Photos is an agency synonymous with integrity, curiosity and ‘concerned’ photography. Celebrating our 70th anniversary in 2017, Magnum’s international photographers have chronicled the world; helping to shape documentary photography as a modern form of both artistic expression and a tool for change.
As a modern agency, the current preoccupation is focused on the role of authorship in an image-saturated world. In conjunction with Magnum’s historic archive, a new means of culturally relevant production is being explored, leading to a greater dialogue with the wider market, expanded platforms and emerging geographies. With seven decades of experience and with access to world-leading photographers and industry professionals, Magnum Photos is committed in the transfer of its accumulated knowledge to a new generation of visual storytellers.
LCC’s reputation for documentary photography is second to none in the UK. Year after year, graduates from MAPJD find international success in prizes, awards and grants. Three alumni – Kazuma Obara, Michael Vince Kim and Mathieu Willcocks –have won World Press Photo prizes in the last two years. With a focus on context, text and audience, as well as the image itself, experienced tutors and practitioners will help you find the best way to tell the stories that matter to you.
For any queries, please contact Sonia Jeunet: firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +44 (0) 20 7490 1771