Five-day Masterclass with Jim Goldberg and Alessandra Sanguinetti in Tokyo
Create new work in this five-day intensive masterclass covering photographic storytelling, editing and sequencing and collaborative working
For the first time in Tokyo, renowned Magnum photographers Jim Goldberg and Alessandra Sanguinetti will lead an intensive five-day workshop, offering the opportunity to produce new work, develop a strong visual identity, and consider new ways of approaching storytelling.
Intended for passionate amateurs to professional photographers, the workshop will be a unique event where you will benefit from both Jim Goldberg’s and Alessandra Sanguinetti’s mentorship. Participants will work with their tutors to produce new work in Tokyo. You will learn about the editing process and contribute a selection of your work to a collaborative group zine that will be produced on the last day of the workshop.
“I have the great privilege of being both witness and storyteller. Intimacy, trust and intuition guide my work.” – Jim Goldberg
“When used thoughtfully and poetically both journalism and art can affect people in profound ways.” – Alessandra Sanguinetti
Images will be reviewed at the beginning of each day as participants are expected to shoot during the rest of the day and evening. This workshop will challenge, guide and push participants to make new responses to their ideas. Participants will also benefit from the participation of celebrated editor and curator, Yumi Goto. The creation of the group zine will be an introduction to the discussion on book making led by Yumi Goto, Jim Goldberg, and Alessandra Sanguinetti.
Due to the fast pace and limited time of the workshop participants need to have clear and realistic ideas on the story they would like to work on in Tokyo. Each student will receive one copy of the special edition group zine.
Areas that will be covered during this workshop:
• Mentoring by Magnum photographers Jim Goldberg and Alessandra Sanguinetti
• Individual portfolio reviews
• Group portfolio reviews
• Editing and sequencing
• Design and layout
• Lecture on zine making led by Yumi Goto, Jim Goldberg and Alessandra Sanguinetti
Where & When
Reminders Photography Stronghold, Tokyo
2 Chome-38-5 Higashimukojima, Sumida, 131-0032, Tokyo
Monday 22nd April until Friday 26th April 2019
We recommend participants to arrive in Tokyo on Thursday Sunday 21st April.
The workshop will be held in English
Early Bird Price Offer: ¥180,000 (incl. tax) before February 20th
Regular Price: ¥190,000 (incl. tax) after February 20th
Price does NOT include accommodation and travel to Tokyo.
Upon submitting your application you will be forwarded to Magnum’s Paypal account where you will be asked to pay a ¥30,000 deposit to book your place on the workshop. You will receive a confirmation that your application has been accepted within three days of your subscription.
Terms and Conditions apply. See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
The workshop is open to 15 participants maximum and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Students attending must be comfortable using their equipment and have their own laptop with editing software.
Book your place on this masterclass here.
For inquiries relating to this project please email Chloé Jafé: email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
• There are a limited number of spaces on the workshop. Students will be selected based on the work they have submitted during their registration.
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel this event with less than 8 participants. In the event of cancellation students will be given at least 4 weeks advance notice and a full refund (minus ¥1,000 application processing charge).
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised.
• Travel insurance is mandatory.
• The workshop fee does not include international transport, accommodation in Tokyo or ground expenses. International participants are responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is canceled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets.
• If a participant decides to cancel for whatever reason, it must be confirmed in writing: Magnum Photos will reimburse all the registration costs except for ¥30,000 administrative fee, if the participant informs Magnum Photos of cancellation at least 3 weeks before the first day of the workshop. Beyond this time limit, Magnum Photos will charge the following:
– 50% of the cost if cancelled between 15 and 21 days before the workshop commences.
– 100% of the cost if canceled less than 15 days before the workshop commences.
– All workshops that are commenced but not completed through the fault of either the contractor/or participant need to be paid in full.