Develop a Personal Project with Antoine d’Agata in Beijing
Broaden your photographic perspective with this five-day intensive workshop at Light Society, Beijing
Join Magnum photographer Antoine d’Agata for an intensive five-day workshop exploring personal perceptions of the world through photography in Beijing, China.
Breaking free from the constraints of the purely documentary, you will be encouraged to extend the limits of your conceptual approach to photography. During this workshop you will be asked to play an active part of your own images to create new realities, narratives and perceptions of the world, and to confront your individual obsessions and contradictions as you shape a new series of images that convey in real or fictional terms your private relationship with the world.
You will then work with d’Agata and your peers to edit and sequence a photobook with the work you have produced during the workshop.
During the workshop, you will:
• Develop a concept for a new series with d’Agata
• Spend an intensive three days shooting in Beijing
• Undertake a one-to-one editing session with d’Agata
• Take part in group critiques and discussions
• Learn practical advice on developing your own projects
• Produce a photobook of your new work under the guidance of d’Agata
Where & When
Beijing Light Society Art Centre, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China
21st – 25th November
The workshop will be held in English with Chinese translation.
12000 RMB (Chinese Yuan)
Terms and Conditions apply.
See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
Due to the intensity of the workshop, Magnum highly recommends that participants produce and edit their work digitally, using their own laptops. We also recommend participants be determined but they don’t have to be advanced in their photographic skills. This workshop is not about learning new technical skills but instead designed to improve each student’s understanding of their photographic practice, their relationship with photography, and their subject to create unique and engaging images. Candidates will be expected to arrive comfortable with their equipment, ready to work.
To register interest for this workshop please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For enquiries relating to this project please email Light Society: email@example.com
Terms and Conditions:
• All fees must be paid on application
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel groups with less than 10 participants. Students will be given a full refund. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised
• For International applicants, Magnum Photos is not responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance
• Refunds to applicants who wish to cancel their place on the workshop can only be given up to 21 days in advance of the date of the workshop. After this point, refunds cannot be issued.