City Landscape Workshop with Jean Gaumy and Richard Kalvar in Hong Kong
Learn from Magnum photographers Jean Gaumy and Richard Kalvar in this intensive five-day workshop
Following the unfortunate cancelation of Harry Gruyaert’s participation due to unforeseen circumstances, we are happy to invite the master street photographer Richard Kalvar to lead a workshop alongside Jean Gaumy.
These workshops aim to develop your capability to read and capture the natural and built landscape under the tutelage of Magnum photographers.
Intended for passionate amateurs and professional photographers alike, with a strong interest in documentary, street or landscape photography and storytelling, the workshops will challenge you to create new work and develop your own visual language and photographic identity through practical assignments and group critiques.
The number of attendees will be limited to 12 per class and all participants will have a chance to have their work reviewed by both photographers during the workshops. Images will be reviewed each day and participants are expected to be shooting through the workshop.
Both Jean Gaumy and Richard Kalvar will also give intimate artist talks about their own work and experiences, sharing their key advice and insights.
The workshops offer:
• Mentoring by Magnum photographers Jean Gaumy and Richard Kalvar
• Visual Style – guiding you through technical, theoretical and aesthetic issues
• Practical work and feedback
• Group portfolio reviews including advice on work and professional development
• Individual portfolio reviews with Jean Gaumy and Richard Kalvar
This event is made possible thanks to the support of PMQ.
Where & When
PMQ, 35 Aberdeen St, Central, Hong Kong
Wednesday April 10 to Sunday April 14*
*We recommend participants to arrive in Hong Kong on Tuesday, April 9 and leave on Monday, April 15.
The workshop will be held in English
Early Bird Price Offer: £1250 (incl. VAT) until February 21, 2019.
Regular Price: £1350 (incl. VAT) after February 21, 2019.
Prices do not include travel or accommodation.
Terms and Conditions apply – See the bottom of this page for more details.
Upon submitting your application you will be forwarded to Magnum’s Paypal account where you will be asked to pay a £200 deposit to book your place on the workshop. You will receive a confirmation that your application has been accepted within 3 days of your subscription.
Selection and Requirements
The workshops are open to 12 participants maximum per class and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Students attending must be comfortable using their equipment and have their own laptop with Editing Software
For enquiries relating to this project please email email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
• There are a limited number of spaces on the workshops. Students will be selected based on the work they have submitted during their registration.
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel this event with less than 8 participants in each workshop. In the event of cancellation students will be given at least 3 weeks advance notice and a full refund (minus Paypal fees).
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised.
• Travel insurance is mandatory.
• The workshop fee does not include international transport, accommodation in Hong Kong or ground expenses. International participants are responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is canceled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets.
• If a participant decides to cancel for whatever reason, it must be confirmed in writing:
Magnum Photos will reimburse all the registration costs except for £100 administrative fee, if the participant informs Magnum Photos of cancellation at least 3 weeks before the first day of the workshop. Beyond this time limit, Magnum Photos will charge the following:
– 50% of the cost if cancelled between 15 and 21 days before the workshop commences.
– 100% of the cost if cancelled less than 15 days before the workshop commences.
– All workshops that are commenced but not completed through the fault of either the contractor/or participant need to be paid in full.